This post is part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck, held on November 16, 2013. At the bottom of the post, you will find links to the previous and next recipe posts in the Virtual Vegan Potluck. Enjoy! Here is a link to the beginning of the potluck posts.
Paul and I recently became vegan. Not too long ago, Paul requested some lentil soup. I rooted around online and adapted a recipe I found somewhere. This is my adaption. It makes for a great fall or winter meal.
For us, this soup meets all our needs: it’s easy to make, wonderfully delicious, and naturally vegan. That is, it’s vegan without really trying since it’s all vegetable-based. We hope you like it as much as we do.
Mushroom Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 bag of Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils (or cooked lentils)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tbs chopped garlic, minced
- 3-4 cups chopped mushrooms (any variety or mix)
- 1 Tbs each
- Chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock (home-made or from a box)
- Add the olive oil to a big soup pot.
- Saute the chopped onion in the olive oil.
- After a few minutes, add chopped sweet potato to the pot.
- Being careful not to burn it, add the garlic and continue to saute until the potatoes are soft.
- Add mushrooms and spices.
- Saute until slightly browned.
- The secret that makes this recipe very quick and easy is to use a package of steamed lentils from Trader Joe’s. Now I usually shy away from pre-fab food, but these are minimally processed and really make life easier when dealing with lentils. Of course, you can substitute cooked dried lentils if you prefer.
- Add lentils and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or so.
- Serve in bowls with some crusty bread.
This post is part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck, held on November 16, 2013. You can use the images above to navigate to the previous and next recipe posts in the Virtual Vegan Potluck. Here is also a link to the beginning of the potluck posts. Enjoy!
17 thoughts on “Delicious (Vegan) Mushroom Sweet Potato Lentil Soup”
Happy Virtual Vegan Potluck! And congrats on recently becoming vegan!! This soup seems so easy to put together and it’s packed with nutritional goodness. Plus mushrooms! I loooove mushrooms.
Oooh, I love mushroom soup! Happy VVP!
OOh, I love mushroom soup! Happy VVP!
Mushroom soup with a kick of spices? That has my name written all over it! Thanks for posting and Happy VVP!
I love those lentils from Trader Joe’s! What a great combination of flavors and ingredients. Perfect for fall. Thank you so much for coming to the Potluck!
This sounds great! I love lentil soups. I definitely need to try making one with sweet potato sometime soon, too. 🙂
Lentil soup is so great but you just made it better with the sweet potato. Go Trader Joe’s! I’ve used those lentils in salads with avocado. welcome to veganhood!!
Congrats on going veg! Mmmm, you put sweet potatoes in anything and I’m all over it.
What an amazing combination – you had me at sweet potatoes!
I, too, am a recent convert. 🙂 This sounds delicious and congrats on going veg. This sounds delicious!
Good luck, Nikki. It can be difficult but the thing that keeps me going (besides my wonderful wife who went vegan with me at the same time) is the knowledge that we are morally right. That industrial farming is institutionalized animal abuse and, as much as possible, we will not be a party to it!
I go crazy over lentil soups. This one looks so hearty and delicious with sweet potato and mushrooms. A great meal after a chilly day outdoors!
Yep, this type of soup is a fantastic staple for any vegan or anyone who just wants to eat healthy! Yum, wish I had some of this right now.
This looks delicious! I love lentils. Hearty and filling. Perfect for winter soups. Congrats on your switch to veganism! You’re lucky your wife is on board. It’s a whole lot easier with support!